Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shadow Warden (2012)

Shadow Warden Trailer from Noora H on Vimeo.



Light character's promo pose
Our game project, Shadow Warden, is a two player co-op action/adventure game, set in post-apocalyptic mayan world. The game utilizes Kinect sensor. One player uses Kinect to destroy enemies while other player leads the two through the world, solving puzzles and doing various other things. Or that was the plan. Due to time constraints most puzzles weren't implemented.


The whole process was very educational. If things can go wrong, they usually go etc... Although in the end the game worked relatively well. :) But yeah, it was interesting to find out the right workflows and techniques used in game development.

My main responsibility was modelling, rigging and animating the main "Light" character. I did this in Blender and then exported the model into UDK. I also modelled and textured few props and rendered promo images of the Light character.


Shadow Warden Light Character from Jarmo Wallenius on Vimeo.

We also had the chance to 3d print the character. I posed and modified the model to get it work properly with 3d printer. The model was hollowed and in two pieces so I could place two small batteries and led lamps in the model, thus lighting up the character from the inside. I still can't believe they let me do such complex electrical connections all by myself. Good thing I managed to complete the task without major injuries.

3D-printed Light character with lights off and lights on.
Anyway, the whole 3d printing process was very interesting. It took about two days or so to print the whole model. (Not counting the overnight bath in sodium hydroxide to get rid of the support material)

No comments:

Post a Comment